451 smart fortwo

smart Car

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has filled up on anything lower than 91 Octane, we only have 95 or lower and I have been filling up on 95 since I bought the car but I was wondering if the mid range would be OK....does anyone know?

Views: 1200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Matthew,

What's your secret? I'm presently getting 42-43 MPG. I want to know how to get 2-2 1/2 times that (84-105 MPG)
Be careful with using ethanol blended gas and NEVER use pure ethanol gas (ie: E85) in the Smart. Only engines specifically designed for Ethanol gas (many of which are labelled as "Flex-fuel" engines) can run E85 - running it in your Smart will actually damage your engine due to the differences in burn rates, viscosity, etc.

Blended ethanol gases CAN be used but in the U.S. Ethanol blended gas can be up to 10% ethanol, which studies have linked to premature engine wear through corrosion of ferrous parts and disintegration of rubber seals and hoses (http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/publications/2... which is a study of 20% blended ethanol gas... but the effect is similar but not as dramatic for 10%).

Personally, I'd avoid gas with ethanol in it. I prefer my corn on the BBQ or in my tortillas... not in my engine.
I strongly second your opinion Canuk!
i think he's referring his smart over his older vehicle.
i just took a leap of faith and topped off with 87 PON (the pump had the sticker with MON+RON/2) i'm not a leadfoot and my car rarely gets over 3000 rpms.
Your general explanation of PON, RON, and MON is correct. However, Smart doesn't recommend 91 RON for the 451, they recommend 91 PON. On page 170 of the 451 manual I was given in California, it says:

"Only use premium unleaded gasoline with a minimum Posted Octane Rating of 91 (average of 96 RON/86 MON)."

This comports with the label on the fuel filler flap, which says to use "RON 95 (min. 91)". The "91 min." reference, while a bit ambiguous, seems to be a reference to 91 PON, since 91 PON would result from (96 RON+86 MON)/2. Interpreting this to mean the recommended octane is 91 PON (premium gasoline) is the only way I can see to harmonize what the filler door says with the 451 owner's manual.
i don't know if it was psychosymatic, but driving home, it seemed i had to press down farther on the go pedal. i didn't hear any weird noises. i had about 6.5 gallons of 87 octane and probably 2.5 gallons of 93 octane, so i figure my mix is about 89 POM in my tank now, i'll top it off in 3 days with the 93 before my trip to road america. weather is supposed to be crappy saturday morning, cold air is good for the engine, (supposed to be cool and humid!) (i fill it up pretty close to the top, ignoring the clicks off)
I don't have my manual yet, so can others follow up on this aspect of the octane discussion please.
Thanks,
Jim
Smart enuf is definitely correct and I am half correct. Confusingly enough the gas tank cap definitely indicates 'RON 95 (min 91)' but the manual also definitely indicates a min of PON 91 as enuf indicated.

All I can say is that I have filled 2 tanks with PON 91 and 4 tanks with PON 89 and have noticed no difference - no backfiring, pinging, lack of horsepower or fuel economy.

In this thread: http://www.451s.com/forum/topic/show?id=1912846%3ATopic%3A23194
Smart indicates that you can run regular fuel with 'no damage to the car' but running premium will give you ~2mpg better fuel economy. That last part doesn't make sense to me because your fuel economy can't get BETTER... it can only get worse if you run a lower octane than recommended causing your engine to knock, which the knock sensor will detect and cause your air/fuel mixture to change such that you're burning less efficiently.

To sum up, I don't believe there is a definitive answer... just lots of speculation. To my mind there's no difference between 89 & 91... so I'm gonna switch back to 89 on my next tank.
I think we're both right, and Smart needs to hire a new technical writer. As you suggested, the filler door label's "RON 95 (min. 91)" could easily be interpreted as a minimum RON of 91 and a recommended RON of 95, which would translate to a minimum PON of 86 ((91+81)/2). This would mean filling up with regular unleaded (at PON 87) would comply with the filler door label. It could also be interpreted as min. PON of 91, as I suggested, which would mean filling up with supreme unleaded is required.

All Smart has done with the conflicting door label and manual instructions is to give us smart owners some ammunition to fire back with if Smart tries to claim an engine problem is due to our use of below-spec gasoline. I'm hoping it does not come to that, but hey, it's their messed up manual and filler instructions!
FWIW, the 2009 manual recommends 91 PON.
From page 247: "Minimum Posted Octane 91 (Avg. of 96 RON/86 MON)"
Shell V-Power 100 ottani petrol in the Smart Turbo 84cv and Shell V-Power Diesel in the BMW

• 100 RON petrol is Shell's new premium fuel
• Shell claims fuel improves power and performance

Shell claims that V-Power provides your car with more power and responsiveness, and it does it in three ways. A higher octane rating of 100 RON means that the fuel burns more effectively, while additives in the fuel reduce the loss of energy in the engine by reducing friction in the cylinders.

The fuel also contains cleaning agents designed to remove unwanted deposits from your engine. Shell says V-Power can clear years’ worth of build-up in just a few tankfuls.

100 ottani, 100% Ferrari.

Migliorare l’accelerazione, avere un motore sempre perfetto e ridurre le emissioni di zolfo. Con Shell V-Power 100 ottani è possibile.

Roger

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MADNESS GoPedal

Members

Latest Activity on 451s

Robb Friest posted a discussion

Anyone know of a good camper/trailer that a smart car can pull?

Hello everybody, I am doing research and trying to find a good lightweight camper or trailer so I…See More
7 hours ago
Russell Hurst commented on Russell Hurst's photo
Thumbnail

White mirrors.

"Thank you George."
13 hours ago
alkees posted a discussion

Weight Loss

That's a great way to start I'll those say something …See More
19 hours ago
George Oller replied to xAlvera's discussion Skin Care
"MODS.....are you sleeping? More spam every day."
yesterday

smartCar on Facebook/Twitter

© 2014    

Badges  |  Bug Report  |  Terms of Service

Disclaimer: This is a user generated "Web 2.0" community, smart GmbH, smart USA and smart Canada are not responsible for the maintenance or creation of this page.
All brand names and/or trademarks used are for reference only and are the property of their respective holders.