451 smart fortwo

smart Car

Smart 451 has a good setup to deliver Oxygen to the engine. The air filter for the job is of good size and inside the filter box Smart has 2 water drains. In case the rain water or dew drops make the way into the compartment they will just be flushed out. I have been after K&N to come up with a high flow filter for the Smart 451. Well they have produced a few prototypes and I received on to test.
It certainly makes a difference installing a High Flow filter. The car from the first start is more responsive and acceleration seems to benefit from the extra free flowing air into the engine.
I also noticed that my scanG was registering a better MPG reading at 3000 RPM compared to the original air filter at 3000 RPM. So if you are seeking better performance and higher MPG I would suggest buying and installing a free flow filter. A few companies are selling them.

Tags: Smart, air, car, filter, k&n, smart

Views: 758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where can I check the scoop?
You can order the BTL filter as it should be good. K&N still testing.
Ordered the Brthless filter today.
I understand they are backed up. Popular install.

The K&N web site (http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx) is returning a round air filter (E-9257) for the smart 2008 fortwo.... obviously a wrong filter for the USA model... note that the Inventory Status shows not in stock for the USA; but is in stock for the UK. I was going to order the filter from the UK... but until my turbo pulse arrives (should have been yesterday!) I can't shed any light on this paradox.... the round filter may be turbo only ?

The caution is to confirm any listed K&N filter is the correct one for your smart.
I ran a K&N filter in my Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo) 3.2 V6 in the US for about 5 years. I have no worries about them not catching normal particulate matter.
E-9257 dose not fit the U.S model air filter.
The 451 has the flat filter. Look at the picture I left.

At last... my turbo pulse is at the local dealer, awaiting pre-delivery service, detailing and registration... ready to go on Monday.
I took some photos of it, including the engine bay with the turbo plumbing... anything look familiar?

Air box is the same. The TIK is different. Congratulations on getting the TTTurbo. I see also the Turbo on the right upper corner. Keep us posted as to how the car feels and post some more pics.
....soooo..is there a turbo kit out there for the USA 451?

...flea
Not yet.
I have a few people looking at it. The turbo install will need a few parts. I was hoping that BRABUS might bring the turbo engiine to U.S. Talking to BRABUS yesterday they said yes the car is going to be coming not the turbo version.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MADNESS GoPedal

Members

Latest Activity on 451s

George Oller commented on David B. Stark's photo
Thumbnail

P7140786

"I like the Pures without the wheel covers.  Looks more sporty."
9 hours ago
David B. Stark posted a photo

P7140786

Love at first sight at the dealer in Williamsville, New York
11 hours ago
George Oller commented on Bob haddock's photo
Thumbnail

Brabus

"Hi Bob, thanks for the compliments.  The caliper covers are the 3D style with raised, painted…"
Aug 12
Ricardo replied to Barry Rogers's discussion Black Alloys or Standard silver Alloys on my Black Brabus fortwo
"black"
Aug 11

smartCar on Facebook/Twitter

© 2014    

Badges  |  Bug Report  |  Terms of Service

Disclaimer: This is a user generated "Web 2.0" community, smart GmbH, smart USA and smart Canada are not responsible for the maintenance or creation of this page.
All brand names and/or trademarks used are for reference only and are the property of their respective holders.