451 smart fortwo

smart Car

I own a 2006 Smart Passion. While generally pleased with the ar and the dealership, the car has a history of minor problems (electrical, ball joints gone, etc.). Car is 18 months old with 60,000 Kms. The dealer ship has been working to correct a problem that is apparently with the alternator after initially changing the starter which did not solve the problem.

I am becoming concerned taht I may have purchased a sub-standard car. has anyone else had any mechanical problems with their cars?

Views: 20532

Replies to This Discussion

Hi
I have a 2008 Smart and so far I had problems with 2 sensors, one that would not allow me to shift out of park, problems with my heater, problems with starting my car in any type of weather and exhaust problems. All this since Sept 2008 and I'm scared, very scared.
Thanks for your reply. A month ago I had to trade my Smart Car on a 2006 B Class. Car was coming off warranty and there were major problems. The dealer had it in twice just before warranty expired and the car stranded me on the Kitchener expressway. The dealership put a new injector ($1,000 + labour) which did not prevent the problem. I don't believe they honestly knew what was wrong with the car. Three lawyers gave me the same advice: Make a deal on a different vehicle and walk away.

I had to carry over negative equity which I was not pleased about. The good thing is I am rid of the Smart Car and have a dependable vehicle.

Don't know what to tell you except to keep track of all the repairs/maintenance even if under warranty. If you don't drive a lot of miles annually, you might want to consider the extended warranty.

Good luck!

Keith Rabidoux
HELLO "THE RAB"
I HOPE THAT YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN I HAD WITH MY SMART AND I TRULY MEAN THAT BECAUSE MY SMART ENDED UP IN THE SHOP NO LESS THAN 30 TIMES AND AT LEAST 10 OF THOSE TIMES I HAD TO BE TOWED IN.
THE CAR WAS BRAND NEW WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND I HAD TROUBLE FROM DAY 1.IT WAS A PASSION CABRIOLET.
MY BATTERY,ALTERNATOR A/C COMPRESSOR,STARTER WERE CHANGED SEVERAL TIMES AND I WAS CONVINCED I HAD A LEMON WICH I DID.IMAGINE 30 TIMES BREAKING DOWN WITH A NEW CAR THAT MEANS I HAD BEEN AT THE DEALER 60 TIMES BECAUSE I HAD TO PICK IT UP WHEN IT WAS SO CALLED REPAIRED.
I SPENT SO MUCH TIME AT THE DEALER SOME OF THE EMPLOYEES THOUGHT I WORKED THERE.MY HEADLIGHT BULBS BURNED OUT AT LEAST 20 TIMES.
FURTHERMORE THE DEALER HERE IN MONTREAL WAS NOT VERY HELPFULL BECAUSE THE CAR HAD LESS THAN 30000 KMS ON IT BUT THE WARRANTY WAS RUNNING OUT.
I EVENTUALY GOT MERCEDEZ CANADA INVOLVED AND BETWEEN US (NO HELP AT DEALER LEVEL)WE WERE
ABLE TO AGREE TO A VERY GOOD PRICE ON A NEW CAR THIS TOOK ABOUT 9 MONTHS OF NEGOTIATING
I COULD HAVE SOLD THE CAR PRIVATELY BUT I KNEW WHOEVER BOUGHT IT WOULD BE GETTING RIPPED OFF SO I DECIDE TO TRADE IT IN FOR A NEW MODEL AND I NOW HAVE HAD THE NEW CAR FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS (I HAVE NY FINGERS CROSSED PRETTY SAD FOR A NEW CAR)
JUST TO MENTION MY BALL JOINTS WERE CHANGED 3 TIMES.I'M NOT A TEENAGER AND TRIED TO TAKE IMPECCAPLE CARE OF MY CAR BUT IT JUST KEPT BREAKING DOWN.
WE NEVER DID FIND OUT THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM BUT I THINK THAT THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM COULD
HANDLE VERY MUCH.
GOOD LUCK
BRENDAN
HI there,

I have had my Smart car for 1 year, The issues keep coming, my headlight on the left keeps burning out - (to me that means a wire issue), I could not get my vehicle out of park, then after that was fixed could not get my vehicle into reverse. I have had NO heat, and tire pressure issues. I did purhcase the extended warranty, but what happens when that runs out??
I am anxious as I have a 1 hour commute to and from work every day. Anyone else????
Left front goes on my '09 too. What's up with that?

I fixed it once by seating the wiring harness, but this time do dice.

Perhaps we can identify a service bulletin issue of we get enough repsonses.
I have a 2006 Diesel Smart for 2 years. I have 65,000 km and came off my warranty 6 months ago. Never had a problem.
Irene
i find driving a pleasure and have thousands of kms of pleasurable driving with my smart (just under 30, 000 kms). i have had problems with my tiny car too. glichy problems that need going back to the dealership. it saddens me that this is the case. im not going to buy another smart. quite heartbroken really. ignition problems, engine lights and tyre pressure issues. i cant get too upset though. its just a car. mercedes people im nice to- i cant get upset with them. i have also had a lot of fun driving it. but so much fun is always dampened by another trip to the dealer to look at something- and no car is worth such sadness. im sure the second owner is more open-minded for repairs than i first car-owner is. i hope they get as much fun driving it as i did and not so heartbroken of a first car owner suprised to be finding issues so soon. a secondhand car owner is always more openminded for minor repairs. i wish them all the very best when i sell it earlier than i expected.

I purchased a used Smart Pure cdi (2006) with 88.000 km. It was jerky to start and then one day would not start - as if locked. Towed it to the dealer and found that the SAM had corrupted due to water affecting the top multi-pin plug. The SAM had to be replaced. I also had the 90.000 service done at the time. After spending a small fortune the car is running smoothly and as expected.

What I did learn from this is that water can filter down from the left front grid (where you access the air intake) and can eventually get on the SAM. I hope to prevent this in the future when I placed a shower cap over the SAM to divert any water around it.

I noticed that others have been complaining of burned headlamps on the left side and would suggest that maybe water could also be the reason for that problem.

Hi John. Where is the Sam on yer 2006. I'm in the process of buying one with 38k on it. Do u still hav yours

John Churchill-Browne said:

I purchased a used Smart Pure cdi (2006) with 88.000 km. It was jerky to start and then one day would not start - as if locked. Towed it to the dealer and found that the SAM had corrupted due to water affecting the top multi-pin plug. The SAM had to be replaced. I also had the 90.000 service done at the time. After spending a small fortune the car is running smoothly and as expected.

What I did learn from this is that water can filter down from the left front grid (where you access the air intake) and can eventually get on the SAM. I hope to prevent this in the future when I placed a shower cap over the SAM to divert any water around it.

I noticed that others have been complaining of burned headlamps on the left side and would suggest that maybe water could also be the reason for that problem.

Garth,

Yes I still have my Smart. The SAM is found under the dashboard on the left side behind the steering wheel column. There are two clips you release and the SAM fall down enabling you to change fuses that are located on the top of it.

I simply took a shower cap and inserted over the fuses and covering the plugs that are connected there.

Some months after changing the SAM I noticed that the car shuddered exaggeratedly when driving, specially when starting off. I suspected it was the clutch and effectively had to eventually change the clutch.

What a difference after doing so. The car now starts at a crawl and shifts as smooth in manual as if it were a top end automatic. 

As it is now, I am more pleased than a dog with two tails.

Regards

John Churchill-Browne

This is an interesting read. I am researching whether a smart would be a good purchase but after reading many threads I'm wondering if these things are junk.  This is not a slam, just an observation on the various threads I've read. The one lesson that seems to stand out is buy as much warranty as you can...so the question is whom amongst you would buy another one....not meaning to hijack the thread but I would really like one, they seem like fun but I am really concerned about the build quality.... Which seems to me to be ironic since Benz constantly stresses its superior quality, but is associated with one of such poor.

RSS

MADNESS GoPedal

Members

Latest Activity on 451s

SMART MADNESS posted a discussion
1 hour ago
SMART MADNESS posted discussions
yesterday
George Oller commented on Dean's photo
Thumbnail

IMG-20141017-WA0058

"Welcome from Florida, USA, Dean.  I love to see happy people enjoying their smart cars."
Tuesday
SMART MADNESS posted a discussion

smart car Carbon Fiber Door Handles (2) - Pull Handle Assembly

Upgrade the look and feel of your smart car with Genuine Carbon Fiber!…See More
Tuesday

smartCar on Facebook/Twitter

© 2014    

Badges  |  Bug Report  |  Terms of Service

Disclaimer: This is a user generated "Web 2.0" community, smart GmbH, smart USA and smart Canada are not responsible for the maintenance or creation of this page.
All brand names and/or trademarks used are for reference only and are the property of their respective holders.